Upcoming Events

Month At A Glance

Sunday, December 11, 2022

[sgi-tomyfriends-wagatomo] 11-18 Dec. 2022 Words of the Week, 11 Dec. Daily Gosho + 12 Dec. Daily Encouragement

* There is a Japanese press holiday tomorrow so "Words of the Week" appears today instead of tomorrow.

A translation of "Words of the Week" published in the Seikyo Newspaper based on Ikeda Sensei's recent guidance, and more.

December 11th-18th, 2022
-- WORDS OF THE WEEK --
Praising one anothers' 
"unseen virtues,"* 
let's hold the most 
joyful of discussion meetings   
full of "visible rewards!"
The Daishonin assures us:
"The great reward also 
is sure to come."**
United with 
our men and women's 
district leaders,
let's advance harmoniously 
towards triumphant victory!

*"Unseen virtue brings about visible reward" means that those who work hardest behind the scenes enjoy the greatest reward. It is a strict, impartial, hope-inspiring principle. This is the teaching of Buddhism, and it is why participating in Soka Gakkai activities is so important.
(ref. https://www.sokaglobal.org/resources/study-materials/buddhist-study/the-wisdom-for-creating-happiness-and-peace/chapter-16-8.html)
**"Unseen Virtue and Visible Reward" 
(WND, Vol.1, page 907)

Sunday, December 11th, 2022
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"Little streams come together to form the great ocean, and tiny particles of dust accumulate to form Mount Sumeru. When I, Nichiren, first took faith in the Lotus Sutra, I was like a single drop of water or a single particle of dust in all the country of Japan. But later, when two people, three people, ten people and eventually a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand and a million people come to recite the Lotus Sutra and transmit it to others, then they will form a Mount Sumeru of perfect enlightenment, an ocean of great nirvana. Seek no other path by which to attain Buddhahood!"

(The Selection of the Time 
- WND, Vol. 1, page 579)
Selection Source: Suntetsu, 
Seikyo Newspaper, Dec. 11th, 2022

Monday, December 12th,2022
---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"The Daishonin continues: 'Likewise, when one livens other people's complexions, one livens one's own, too, when one gives them strength, one gives oneself strength, too, when one prolongs their lives, one prolongs one's own life as well' (WND–2, 1066).
 
"I can attest to this from my personal experience. I had a weak constitution and contracted tuberculosis, which often left me very tired and feverish. My dearest wish and prayer from the time of my youth was to have robust health. My wife was also very worried about me.

"Nevertheless, I spent my days travelling throughout Japan and the world to encourage our members waiting for me to visit them. It was exhausting, of course. Wondrously, though, the harder I exerted myself, the more strength sprang from within me, and I was revitalised. The leaders accompanying me often asked where I found all my energy.

"I refused to succumb to illness and was determined to carry out my mission and fulfil my responsibilities. I also knew that the more you strive in Soka Gakkai activities, the more it energises you. Earnest efforts to encourage and inspire others enable you to bring forth courage and strength, while seeing others revitalised gives you fresh hope and inspiration.

"From my youth, I gave myself completely to supporting and assisting Mr. Toda. I worked my hardest each day, determined to do my utmost so that I would have not a single regret. I am here today because of the benefits I gained from those efforts, and I am convinced that it is thanks to Mr. Toda that I've been able to demonstrate the Buddhist principle of 'prolonging one's life through faith.'"* 

The Buddhism of the Sun—Illuminating the World, [81] Advancing Courageously towards Kosen-rufu While making Dynamic Progress in Our Lives, The Great Benefit of "Prolonging One's Life through Faith," January 2022 issue of Daibyaku Renge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translation released October 2022.

* Prolonging one's life through faith: This is based on the passage in the "lifespan" (16th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra, that reads: "We beg you to cure us, and let us live out our lives!" (LSOC16, 269). This is in the section that explains the parable of the outstanding physician, who gives "good medicine" to his children, who have "drunk poison" (that is, succumbed to delusion), and who implore him to cure their illness.Through taking this good medicine (that is, embracing faith in the wonderful Law of the Lotus Sutra), they are cured and able to enjoy many more years of life. 


-- KONSHU NO KOTOBA --
INTOKU HIKARU TOMO TO TATAEAI
YOHO KAGAYAKU YOROKOBI NO ZADANKAI O.
"DAIKAHO WA MATA KITARUBESHI"
CHIKU BUCHO JOSEI BUCHO TO
WARAKU NO DANKETSU DE GAIKA E!

The Japanese kanji is available by clicking on Seikyo Shinbun's
http://www.seikyoonline.com/news/wagatomo/

--- KYO NO GOSHO ---
SHURU ATSUMARITE TAIKAI TO NARU MIJIN TSUMORITE SHUMISEN TO NARERI NICHIREN GA HOKEKYO O SHINJI HAJIMESHIWA NIHONKOKU NIWA ITTAI ICHIMIJIN NO GOTOSHI HOKEKYO O NININ SANNIN JUNIN HYAKUSENMAN OKUNIN TONAE TSUTAURU HODO NARABA MYOKAKU NO SHUMISEN TOMO NARI DAINEHAN NO TAIKAI TOMO NARUBESHI HOTOKE NI NARU MICHI WA KOREYORI HOKANI MATA MOTOMURU KOTO NAKARE

(New Gosho Zenshu page 205, 
Gosho Zenshu page 288)

--
Please let us know if you see any mistakes or have any questions!
 
It is possible to contact us on
 
sjlmg28@gmail.com
 
particularly if you want us to add someone!
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sgi-tomyfriends-wagatomo+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sgi-tomyfriends-wagatomo/610847ce-e892-4561-8da0-22df85655f54n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Blog Archive